Mr Furman was engaged in private legal practice and was one of the initiators of establishment of the Union of Barristers of the Republic of Kazakhstan in 1992.
Vladimir is an arbitrator of the Arbitration Center of National Chamber of Entrepreneurs of the Republic of Kazakhstan “Atameken”.
Since 2014, upon the recommendation of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Mr Furman has been an expert/arbitrator of the Expert Commission for Settlement of Disputes within the framework of the 2011 Free Trade Zone Agreement.
Over more than 30 years of his legal practice, Mr Furman successfully completed hundreds of court and arbitration proceedings, participated in a big number of projects across various industries, advised clients on a wide range of legal matters.
Vladimir provided legal support to a number of major investment projects, restructurings of holding companies, forced and voluntary liquidations of companies. He has significant experience in restructuring of debt, settlement of complex disputes out of court. Vladimir has represented clients in arbitration and litigation on numerous disputes relating to customs, transportation, corporate and labour issues, real estate, telecommunications, intellectual property and many other areas.
- Litigation and Arbitration
- Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Foreign Trade
- Land Regulation
- Construction & Real Estate
- Customs Regulation
- Labour and Employment
- Acting for an international drilling contractor in negotiations with a Kazakhstani subsoil user on terms and conditions of a drilling contract for the amount of US$ 70 million
- Acting for the Republic of Kazakhstan in US$ 4 billion arbitration proceedings initiated by a large Canadian production company in the LCIA
- Representation of a Kazakhstani oil company in US$ 2 million LCIA proceedings initiated by its contractor
- Legal advice to the Kazakhstani branch of the world's largest oilfield services company on employment, corporate, insurance and other matters, as well as representation of the company in Kazakhstani courts on various matters
- Acting as a Kazakhstani local counsel to a major Kazakhstani bank in multibillion dollar court proceedings (in London, Cyprus and BVI) for recovery of damages from the bank’s former management
- Representation of a Chinese bank in a finance transaction with a foreign company guaranteed and secured by pledge of receivables of Kazakhstani subsidiaries of the borrower
- Representation of an engineering plant in West Kazakhstan in a transaction involving equity financing through acquisition of minority interest by a foreign direct investments fund
- Acting for a Kazakhstani investor in connection with acquisition of a 100% participatory interest in the owner of construction-in-progress of a large multi-functional complex in Astana